Saturday, June 18, 2005

It could be worse!

I've been saying for years that the American prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, is a disgrace. Originally, my intemperate e-mails were met with indifference or quiet acknowledgement from my friends, who I suspect were embarrased for me. It wasn't that they didn't agree, it was just that I worked myself up into such high dudgeon that there was no way to follow up on my bile.

Even my Republican friends acknowledged that it was not exactly in keeping with American ideals (or the Constitution) to imprison people without due process. Of course, they're bad Republicans. Because if they were good Republicans, they'd have defended the practice because, hey, we're not committing genocide or anything! We're not the worst!

At least, that's been the line Republicans have bandied about lately. Which, in and of itself is pretty low. But check out this to see just how low we can go when attempting to justify this unquestionably immoral policy. Normally I don't like just saying "check this out" about something on another blog. But in this case, I'll make an exception. Especially because the alternative is an overlong rant about how far too many of our fellow Americans can't be bothered to be ashamed of our country's policies of torture and indefinite imprisonment.

No comments: