Monday, May 15, 2006

What I've been up to: Yes, a post that's all about me

So you've noticed we've turned into the Cole Slaw Review of Books and Popular Culture while my computer's been at death's door. It's been very highfalutin': A discussion of Great American novels, a sterling review of Neil Young's latest and insight into Myspace.

It's like when Sideshow Bob turned the Krusty the Klown Show into Sidehow Bob's Cavalcade of Whimsy. Except we'll be keeping our slide whistles, thank you.

To cut through the heaviness of my co-blogger's intellectually stimulating commentary, let me provide you with some of the stupid shit I've been up to lately. I falute at a lower level, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Since last posting, I've done the following things:
  • Watched Game 2 of the Cavs-Pistons series with two Pistons fans, one of them my co-blogger. The other, a hard-hittin' reader of the blog. Despite the Cavs' incompetence in that game, it was a good time. I need to get out more on weeknights.
  • Purchased some of the random, pint-sized bottles of Polish and Czech beer that go for $1-$2 at my local bodegas. I enjoyed the Polish brand called Brok the most. Mmm, Brok.
  • Knocked my Brok off of my coffee table and caught it mid-fall, which had roughly the same effect as if I had picked the bottle off the table and shaken it at the TV several times, as if performing a cleansing ritual or celebrating a pennant. Note: I was actually watching TV, not playing video game football, when it would have at least been potentially appropriate. That was a a fun mess to clean up. But at least I got to finish my Brok!
  • Trekked to Brooklyn to borrow goalie equipment (I'm our emergency goalie; this week was an emergency-goalie situation), then dragged said equipment to meet a friend for dinner. I was 45 minutes late, which I almost never am. She forgave me anyway, although the cafe we met at was amused to see me put a goalie stick in the hatrack where they kept umbrellas.
  • Made like a bajillion saves in my game, including a clean glove save on a breakaway that I'll be boring my grandchildren with the way I'm boring you here. Incidentally, we tied.
  • Purchased a Lonely Planet guidebook to Budapest. Just 'cause.
  • Was informed by an otherwise smart and personable Notre Dame fan that Michigan has "no chance" at winning in South Bend this September. It's nice that Irish fans are totally not believing their own hype. Notre Dame may well be good this season, but even so, they'll still have one of the most overinflated ratios of praise to performance of any team. How long until the season starts?
  • Pulled off a classic win-win blockbuster trade in my fantasy league, sending Vlad Guerrero for ... oh, my God, this is why I usually keep my personal life out of the blog _ it's very mundane.
Coming up soon ... my list of Top 10 Songs I Would Totally Use As Entrance Music if I Were a Closer, ranked by how good I would actually need to be to be able to pull it off. (For example: If I wanted to trot to the mound while "Rock and Roll (Ain't Noise Pollution)" by AC/DC played, I would only need to be as good as, say, the incomparable Travis Harper of the Tampa Bay Devil Fishies. But to enter to something more offbeat, like, say the theme from "The Jeffersons" I'd need to be a cut above. say, K-Rod at the least.

More on this soon ...

3 comments:

evil girl said...

at least you've moved up to spraying beer at the tv, rather than throwing your own feces.

Anonymous said...

You know, it never occurred to me that Mr. Notes is probably also a Pistons fan...

He's probably not all that pleased about all the, er, witnessing that's been going on the past two games.

Flop said...

I watch a handful of games in the playoffs, but basically don't give a shit. Nice try, though.