Tuesday, August 22, 2006

... found and lost

I got a notice in my mailbox today. My missing wallet was waiting for me at the post office, postage due. People are decent. I headed to my local branch office to ransom my wallet _ $1.35, postage due.

I tore open the envelope to find my wallet, slightly the worse for wear, with all my various IDs and licenses and business cards neatly arranged in the billfold. The cash, of course, was nowhere to be seen. Whoever got to it before (or after) some solid citizen stuck it in a mailbox helped themself to all my dollars, all my pounds, and even took my totally unspendable, unconvertible, lucky French franc, which apparently was in need of a top-up of whatever charmative power I had ascribed to it.

I spent the rest of the day half wondering if I should ask at Commerce Bank if anyone had recently tried to change £47 into USD, reminding myself not to be in such a shitty mood because at least my license is back and desperately wanting to start a fight with every person I passed on the street, a la Fight Club.

I will now spend the rest of the night hitting golf balls off the roof of my apartment building.

No comments: