Friday, September 09, 2005

Advise and consent

Earlier, I was wondering aloud if Mike Brown had to be confirmed by the Senate. Turns out he did. And didn't. Oh, the wonkery. It's all fodder for the DVD "Policy Roundtable: Too Hot for public-access."

Regardless, I can't get too upset about the way in which "Brownie" got waved into office. Even though it's now clear that he's a total hack, I certainly didn't raise my voice at the time and I can't remember anyone else doing so. It's one of those stupid Washington things, kind of like the way no one in Congress really reads the bills. It's naive and quaint to expect otherwise.

Well, maybe this is a bit too Schoolhouse Rock of me, but I 'm going to say it's time we rethought that. Senators probably aren't going to start taking that part of their jobs seriously unless their constituents demand it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Mike Brown and did he once play for the Nebraska Cornhuskers and, if so, why would a defensive back require Congressional confirmation?

Flop said...

Oh, bureaucracy can be very complicated.