Thursday, September 29, 2005

Chief Justice John Roberts

I haven’t done the research (who do you think I am?), but it seems to me that John Roberts is the second-most-discussed person in Cole Slaw Blogstory behind only Alex Kuczynski. So, it’s unfortunate that the proprietors couldn’t be here for the conclusion of the saga, when John Roberts was confirmed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court today.

But they aren’t here, so instead of sober jurisprudential analysis from CrimeNotes, you’re going to get the first Crunk Raconteur Democratic Pride Awards (John Roberts Edition). Let’s get to it!

Methodology: I supported a vote of NO on the nomination, although I also support the decision not to filibuster him. He could be worse, and he seems competent, so I’m resigned without much bile to his confirmation, but I don’t think the Democrats should help them do it. If Roberts had been confirmed by unanimous consent, it would have given the Bushies the political cover they need to appoint a real right-wing wacko next time. Their argument would have been “Hey, you got the consensus nominee already. Now we get a real conservative.” (Note: this message would have resonated, despite it being BS.)

22 Democrats made me proud by voting NO.

While I appreciate all 22, 19 of those represent decidedly blue states and won’t face any real ramifications for it (think Ted Kennedy or Barbara Boxer).

2nd Runner Up: Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV): The Minority Leader earns my praise because he seems to have bought into the same line of reasoning as I did. That said, he’s only the 2nd runner up because he is the Minority Leader, and we should expect that from him (still, it’s nice to know that we can).

1st Runner Up: Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA): Iowa has been a battleground state lately, and, in fact, was red in 2004. But that didn’t sway Sen. Harkin into a mealy mouthed YES vote. Well done, Senator Harkin.

And the winner is…

Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN): Indiana is a hard-red state, and it took real guts to vote against a Bush Supreme Court Nominee when you’re from a state where Bush pulled 60% in 2004. Perhaps this was all just positioning for a future Presidential bid, but you know what? Fine. I’ll remember this when the time comes, Senator, and will consider it a point in your favor.

Senator Bayh may call upon Crunk Raconteur World HQ whenever he likes to claim his prizes, a bottle of Bertman’s Ball Park Mustard and an Arrested Development: Season 1 DVD set.

(Note: I have decided to refrain from sending another 500 word post detailing the accompanying Democratic Shame Awards, but if you want to know who won, all you need to know is this: The alternate name of the Democratic Shame Awards is “The Liebies”)

1 comment:

Flop said...

Well, I definitely would have voted yes so I disagree with much of what you say here.

Also, there is nothing Evan Bayh could ever do to win a point in my favor, short of singlehandedly stopping the Iraq War. After Joe Lieberman, I think he's about as bad as it gets.

Unfortunately I'm writing this from an internet cafe in Rome. Otherwise I'd make a counterpost.