Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Too-Late Endorsement: The NBA Draft

So, continuing my ongoing rapprochement with NBA basketball, plus the fact that there was nothing on TV last night, I started watching some of the NBA Draft. I like pro sports drafts, because they feature three things I'm a big fan of: sports, posses, and idiotic catchphrases.

Anyway, given that I follow college basketball for 3 weeks a year, and high school and European basketball not at all, I really couldn't be very worried about who Cleveland was going to pick (some dude named Shannon. Apparently not all those farmers play foot-ball.), but I noticed something that made this incredibly entertaining.

Right before Connecticut's Rudy Gay was picked, the commentators were discussing him. For those who don't even follow college hoops 3 weeks a year, the buzz on Rudy Gay all year is that he's incredibly talented but has a seeming total lack of competitiveness and doesn't seem to like basketball much at all. He's lazy and, despite his monumental talent, seems destined to be a career underachiever.

Jay Bilas, Stephen A. Smith, and the gang were basically giving this exact rundown when the shot shifted to Gay sitting waiting to be called, and that's when I noticed that the sound was a little weird. I finally figured out that the same audio I was hearing on ESPN was being broadcast in the room as well. Meaning, I was sitting there looking at Rudy Gay listening to Bilas and Stephen A. talk about how lazy he is.

After that, it was riveting. Later, they were discussing Marcus Williams's character issues (stemming, in part, from his role in the theft of a bunch of laptops), and knowing that he could hear it made it one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen.

Can we work this into the NFL Draft? Imagine, the shot is of Vince Young and John Clayton is talking about the bad Wonderlic score...and Vince can hear him!

Of course, this would make it incredibly likely that some linebacker or safety would kill Chris Mortensen or Mel Kiper Jr.

Quite Frankly, They Could Have Heard Him Without a Microphone

No comments: