Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Cask o' Slaw

One of the main reasons for starting a blog dedicated to a side dish was because I often find myself fascinated in stupid shit that doesn't matter. For that reason, long before I fancied myself a blogger, I really loved a blog called Incoming Signals.

Incoming Signals is the blog for random shit you didn't even know interested you. For someone like me, it can be a huge time-waster. Past entries have included a history of Scrooge McDuck's hometown of Duckburg, the story behind Murphy's Law, why rats can't vomit, ancient Sumerian poetry, a theory that Mrs. Warren Harding fed the president poisoned crab and tons of cool historical maps throughout.

The blog's author also on rare occasions shows a sly, snarky side. For example, on Feb. 2, he said:

Today would have been Ayn Rand's 100th birthday. In celebration, I'm going to bake a cake and then not share it with anybody.


His other posts that day included a gallery of more than 2,000 U.S. Civil War maps, a photo gallery of Hong Kong apartment blocks and a gallery of secret writing.

What finally put me over the top and made me realize I needed to put Incoming Signals on our list of blogospheric fun was today's link to a truly bizarre and wonderful photo montage inspired by Edgar Allan Poe called "The Telltale Signs."

It's brimming with awesomeness. It makes me want to redo "The Cask of Amontillado" with pictures of me stuck behind a wall of bricks while persuing Crimenotes' special "cavern-aged" slaw. (He'd totally let me out. I'm no Fortunato.)

Nemo me impune lacessit is basically Latin for "Punk Rock, bro!" right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Flop!

Flop said...

No problem, man. I've been a fan for a while (I even made a reference to your blog a couple months ago) just never got around to doing a full post and the link.

Thanks for stopping by our humble blog.