Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Culture of Life

One of my favorite law blogs (I have only one favorite Slaw Blog), Talkleft, has the story about the movement to speed up that whole Death Row thing. Basically, by limiting Habeas Corpus appeals.

You know, as I've been watching this country throw the Constitution out the window ever since the Patriot Act was rushed onto the books, I've kind of idly wondered when they'd get around to stripping rights from the death penalty.

As ardent slaw fan crunk raconteur once said, I suppose we won't stop until we really are the rootin'-est, tootin'-est, summarily executin'-est nation in the whole world.

Or, if you prefer an actual, identifiable statesman, here's what Virginia Rep. Rep. Bobby Scott (D) said about it.

"The House has been very supportive of anything that would strip the innocent of a fair hearing. This bill will ensure that more innocent people will be put to death."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My line was better...although in its full form it also included "resolutin'-est" and "genital electrocutin'-est"...