Thursday, July 14, 2005

Supreme Court update

Rehnquist is staying. I just won a bunch of arguments at work.

Also, in today's column, David Brooks mentions Mary Ann Glendon as a potential nominee for O'Connor's seat. Glendon would probably vote to overturn Roe and is on the record as being hostile toward gay marriage. Even so, I think she'd be great. She's a tremendous scholar who has written extensively on human rights, international law, and legal ethics. I assume that Roe is otherwise secure, and would expect that on most major issues, she would be reasonable and pragmatic. I expect that, unlike Scalia and Thomas, she would respect stare decisis, and be a model of true judicial restraint.

That said, I estimate her age as somewhere in the mid-sixties, which would disqualify her under the conventional wisdom. I'm curious as to whether Brooks was freelancing when he mentioned her, or whether he's floating a trial balloon on someone else's behest.

No comments: