Sunday, November 20, 2005

The day after

Michigan lost in typical Michigan fashion. I bitched for awhile, analyzed my condition, hydrated, napped, then showered and changed for a wedding where I was one of the few who opted not to comply with the request to wear black tie.

My friends' wedding went forward. Rumor was that some of the guests had chartered a plane and flew direct to Philly from the Michigan-Ohio State game. I honor them.

The groom and others exercised self-restraint in not denouncing their university over the mic. Maybe they had other things on their minds; maybe they are stronger than I am.

I can't speak for the entire Michigan fan base (especially the non-alumni) but in my experience, Michigan has a unique culture in defeat. It's a little like what I've gleaned from Red Sox fans, only less bitter. We never bitch about the refs; we never concede that the other team was better; we never feel like the victims of uncontrollable events. Instead, we treat defeats as self-perpetuated character flaws. In retrospect, all losses feel inevitable.

This season being over, I can now look forward to next fall. It's 300 days until Michigan-Notre Dame, and I'm steeled for the long, cold winter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dunno, man. Flop was pretty bitter...

Anonymous said...

Strangely, the Buckeyes' win wasn't even my football highlight of the weekend (after all, winning road games against mediocre conference opponents is what good teams are supposed to do).

That spot is reserved for listening to the Indianapolis-Cincinnati announcers talking about just how distraught Peyton Manning was that his beloved Vols lost to the ol' alma mater....

Good times, all around...

Flop said...

I share your happiness about Peyton's sadness.

Flop said...

Yes, Peyton schadenfreude is an excellent thing. I've gotten the stink-eye from Vols fans who basically feel as though I myself stole the Heismen from their beloved.