Thursday, November 10, 2005

Mike Tirico, I tip my cap to thee

Have you ever watched a college football game with Mike Tirico in the booth? It's a rare treat. Say what you will about the man, but he knows football better than any broadcaster I've ever watched. (Sorry, Keith. You're still the man. Can you find a fake torch to give your Disney colleague or something?).

Tirico had the call on Michigan's game at Iowa last month, and he was ahead of every call. Especially on penalties. Every time a flag flew, Tirico knew what it would be before the referees told us.

Personally, I'm used to being about five seconds or so ahead of the announcers. Not when it's Tirico. I was watching the Boise State-Fresno State tilt just now, and Fresno completed a long pass from its own end zone, with a defender draped all over the reciever. I thought I saw the Fresno receiver throw the defender off of him, and when a flag flew I said: "That's offensive" interference. (Yes, I was alone in my apartment at the time, why?) Tirico confidently announced "that flag will go against Boise. ... and it's one of the longest touchdowns in Fresno State history."

He was right. I was wrong. My watching experience was actually enlightened by a TV play-by-play announcer. This, of cours, is how it's supposed to work. But it so rarely does.

I now plan to spend the rest of the night watching this tilt, making butternut squash dumplings and drinking wine. I plan to bask in the enlightenment while I can _ the Browns are playing on ESPN's Sunday Night Football this weekend.

2 comments:

Flop said...

"I now plan to spend the rest of the night watching this tilt, making butternut squash dumplings and drinking wine."

Prissiest words you've ever written.

Flop said...

I wrote them with your sensibilities in mind.