Sunday, November 06, 2005

A plea to the Bloomberg voters

Never since Calvin Coolidge has such an unremarkable Republican been so popular.

Mike Bloomberg gave us the Republican National Convention, tried to wreck the West Side for a generation, out-fearmongered the president and popularized plutocracy.

I understand why real estate moguls support him. Otherwise, I'm mystified. Appeals to self-preservation, populism and partisanship haven't changed any minds. I'm done trying. The only explanation I buy is mass hypnotism.

All I ask is this: When voting for him, pretty please vote for him under the Independent ticket and not as a Republican. It won't make a lick of difference in his governance, but at least you won't feel as bad when your sleepwalk ends.

Sorry. I'm grouchy and confused.

While we're at it, might as well give Bush a third term.

Apologies for starting the week on a negative note. My gripe isn't toward any particular Bloomberg voter. I don't think Bloomberg is evil, just a rich guy with misguided priorities.

No comments: