Tuesday, November 15, 2005

More about Ohioans, the people we have to thank for W's second term

MGoBlog has been a source of joy to me this week.
My favorite post today discusses the Dantesque experience of visiting Columbus as a visible Michigan fan. I like my life and my dignity, so I've never done such a thing. The only comparable altercation I saw in Ann Arbor involved belligerent Ohio State dudes standing on a sidewalk, wanting to go into a house party to kick the asses of random Michigan kids. We sang The Victors on a balcony and drove them away with love.

The MGoBlog post includes the following depiction of Flop-worthy behavior:
But one night when I was in college I played something called "SHANKAI JUKU DANCE TROUPE," which consisted of a friend and I screaming "SHANKAI JUKU!!!" over and over, jumping up and down on the furniture, tearing the massive pile of former residents' mail that lived in the family room into tiny bits (a felony), and throwing the bits around the room--we were not the kind of people who would forgo doing something awesome and ridiculous because it was stupidly dangerous.

7 comments:

Flop said...

Yeah, two actual physical assaults by Ohio State fans. Which is one more than their beloved coach committed on the football field. That's a hell of a fanbase you've aligned yourself with there, Crunky.

Anonymous said...

Yawn. As a Cleveland sports fan, I know too well what it's like to lash out at ancillary factors about a rival you just can't beat. I, myself, was just making disparaging comments about Primanti Brothers sandwiches (which was undeserved) and Iron City Beer (which was very deserved) last week.

So I'll just nod and smile tolerantly and wonder if it's lost-3-of-last-4-games envy or (more likely) only-half-a-national-championship envy...

Oh, and before the predictable response comes, I'll just say this. Carlos Baerga was really good in the mid-to-late 90s too...

Anonymous said...

Crunk, did you just call Michigan the Carlos Baerga of college football?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and f you for the title of this blog entry...

I'm sick of people blaming Ohio for the re-election. Let's face the facts here (1) W won other states other than Ohio and (2) there were plenty of people in Ohio who voted D so let's not lump them all together (not enough but still).

I equate blaming Ohio for the election outcome to blaming one play for a lost game. If you played the game better from the start one play wouldn't have changed the outcome. So, for all the voters in Ohio that voted Democrat, fuck off and let's play the game better next time so a one state swing doesn't matter.

Flop said...

Whatever, dude. It's your fault[s] that we're stuck with Bush. Other states voted for him, you're one of them that should've known better.

Flop said...

I would normally note that none of my friends or relatives in Ohio voted for President Torture, but I'm getting sick of that and it doesn't change the fact that several hundred thousand Ohioans who should have known better dropped the ball.

Wyoming and Alabama we expect this shit from. But Ohio should have known better. That it didn't is a source of great pain and embarassment to me.

I would like now to point out that this is quite unlike Michigan's rivalry with Ohio State, which is in fact a source of joy and pride.

Of course, that feeling I had on election night when I realized it was going to come down to Ohio, and I realized that it was going to go for Bush was worse than any sports loss. I would have traded a decade of going, say, 2-7-1 against Ohio State for Bush to lose.

I hope all those "swing voters" who voted for Bush but are now disapproving of him are happy with themselves.

Anonymous said...

LOL

I hate you... and your floppy friend[s].