So here are the guesses of one dumbass as to the questions of American teenagers in a future U.S. history class while reviewing for the unit on fin-de-siecle America (the one with George W. Bush, not Theodore Roosevelt):
- So everyone just bought stock that had anything to do with the internet? Jeez.
- He told everyone to go shopping?
- Wait, so what did Iraq have to do with it?
- So did he actually think we won then, or was he just trying to convince everyone? And it worked?
- Wait, so they re-elected him?
- So let me get this straight: The White House had thrown people in jail without cause, tortured people, suspended habeas corpus for the first time since Lincoln, was spying on its own citizens, established secret prisons around the world and tried to turn the Department of Justice into a nest of loyalist apparatchiks and it was the plots of the previous night's TV shows in the newspapers?
- Oh yeah, her too. Who was she again? Why did people care?
- Seriously? No wonder ...