Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I'm a genius

No, seriously. According to the Sunday crossword "3-D word hunt" in the most recent NYT magazine. It's a long story, but I found 40* five-letter words in a three-dimensional grid of nine letters layered on nine more. You have to see the actual puzzle itself to know what I'm talking about. But 40 words is "genuis-level." A truly terrifying prospect, for those of you who know me. Even worse, if I'm such a genius, how come I leave my cell phone unplugged? Or miss my subway stop (as I did yesterday)? Huh? Why am I still at my crappy job? Oh, Will Shortz, if only you knew what it's like to be me ...a genius (you said so yourself!) with the puzzles, yet a drooling moron when it comes to everyday life.

* More if I could count "choad," "poper" or "stets" among my haul.

2 comments:

Flop said...

As someone famously said, "The scary thing is, when you think about it, [Flop] is probably in the top one percent of the country, even though to us he's an idiot." (paraphrase)

Flop said...

I'm totally up to 41 now. Thanks to an old job working with city inspectors in the suburbs, I got the word "spall." It's what happens when contractors do a bad job pouring concrete. Yes, I know no one will read this.