Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Theater Slaw: thoughts on Spamalot

This post is pretty superfluous because either you have a ticket to Spamalot or you don't, and if you do, you're either big into Monty Python and/or musical theater, or you're not. This is a slapstick, structureless show, geared primarily to people who can recite the lines to Monty Python and the Holy Grail by rote, or who have seen enough Broadway shows to appreciate all of the inside jokes. Not a big musical theater guy myself -- the only time I go is when I have parents in town. And while I've seen Holy Grail a half-dozen times, it doesn't send me into spasms the way it apparently does to the nice lady who sat to my right tonight.

That said, I laughed out loud quite a few times. The knights' confrontation with the French was fantastic, as was the battle with the Black Knight and the episode with the Knights Who Say Neee. David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry were plenty fun, and John Cleese sat about 10 rows ahead of me and my pal Heather. He gave out more autographs than the Pope at sanctity of marriage rally, and appeared quite gracious. The audience tonight was giddy as hell -- tough to know whether people were hyped because the show just won a bunch of awards, or they were Pythonphiles excited for the show itself. Either way, I enjoyed myself, but it didn't live up to the hype.

No comments: