Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Kuczynski watch: Congratulations to the PPK

A reader from our San Diego bureau alerted me to some potentially disturbing news. Pedro Pablo Kuzcynski ("PPK"), father to the world's most famous critical shopper, has been named prime minister of Peru.

BBC has the skinny.

Strange when I think about it, but Alex Kuczynski of the New York Times styles sections has been bashed on this blog more than any other person. More than Tom DeLay, more than anyone at Fox News, and more than my co-blogger. Until we started this blog, I never heard of her or the stores she patronizes. What gives? All I can say is, she strikes a nerve.

Now, I ask: What kind of prime minister will Peru find in PPK? Will PPK's sensibilities be similar to his daughter's when she visited the Target in Mt. Kisco? (She was concerned with social inequities and looking for bargains.) Or will he kiss up to the type of "rarefied crowd" that Alex found at the Stella McCartney store in the Meatpacking District? My guess is that the people of Peru have less patience for bullshit that Times readers, and that PPK will behave respectably. If not: impeach him.

Cole Slaw Blog will remain attuned to any developments on the PPK front, and how they may reflect on his hapless daughter.

No comments: