Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wednesday culture roundup

In the interests of toning down the bile (see previous post), I thought I'd try to post about some things that actually bring me happiness, rather than outrage. So here's a list of miscellany that has been on my mind lately.

Literature:
  • James Salter, Last Night. A collection of short fiction. These stories land softly but pack a wallop nonetheless. Salter's characters are impelled by desires they can't quite give voice to. One character leaves a dinner party to spy a comet as it passes by Earth. One seeks a lost love after 20 years. Yet another is prepares to help his terminally ill wife commit suicide, but seems to have already moved on. The prose is exquisitely well-polished. Details shine like tiny gems, and simple sentences can devastate. The stories inspire contemplation, and reward close and repeat readings.
  • Louis Begley, Shipwreck. This is the second time I read this since it came out (and a friend was kind enough to get me an inscribed copy). It was just as hard to put down as the first time. You'd think a novel about the self-destructive urges of a renowned author, done entirely in flashback and told to a cipher who may or may not be a figment of said author's imagination, wouldn't be a page-turner, but you'd be wrong. Filled with self-doubt over his work, the author beds a French journalist, then contrives to keep that world separate from the world which he inhabits with his wife. The girlfriend becomes obsessed, forcing the protagonist to redouble and redouble again his efforts, all while trying to work on a new novel.
Cinema:
  • Eurotrip. No, seriously. When I first became aware of this movie, it was via a flyer handed to me in a bar where I was to watch the Super Bowl. Not a good sign. By all accounts, this should be a total dog, but I have to say I didn't hate it. And so far, I haven't found anyone who has. I definitely felt for the kid who does all the planning, and gets abuse heaped upon him for it. I also enjoyed Michelle Trachtenberg, in all her attainable hotness. Of course, I keep catching it on HBO, so I still don't think I've seen it all the way through. OK, I think if I say any more, I'll be sued by Knopf. Question: I wonder if there's some blogger out there who can't get enough Truffaut and Peckinpah, but also enjoyed the latest by Clive Cussler.
Music:
  • Kasey Chambers. Went to see this Australian country singer in Brooklyn, at the kind invite of everyone's favorite blog pinup. She was, in a word, bonzer. Was expecting a wonderful night out under the stars in Prospect Park and some half-decent Australian country stylings. She was actually really good, to the point where I'm trying to figure out which songs of hers to download. Also, adorable accent. The rest of the evening was spent on the roof of a friend of said blog pinup near the park, drinking Brooklyn Pennant Ale and enjoying a non-sweltering New York night.
  • The Hold Steady. Rocked, as is their wont. I'll leave the rest of the concert review to my co-blogger, who is probably composing his latest valentine at this very moment. Assuming he's not bass-fishing or waterskiing.

No comments: