Monday, September 03, 2007

Credit where it's due


Woodson still deserved it more than Peyton. Our stadium is still bigger than theirs.

But when it comes to Klan rallies, the University of Tennessee's hometown showed us all how it's done .

“White Power!” the Nazi’s shouted, “White Flour?” the clowns yelled back running in circles throwing flour in the air and raising separate letters which spelt “White Flour”.

“White Power!” the Nazi’s angrily shouted once more, “White flowers?” the clowns cheers and threw white flowers in the air and danced about merrily.

My God, that's some hilarious smartassery. It stands on its own merits as a way to challenge the hateful ideas of an extremist fringe group without elevating them to a position that takes them seriously. Huzzah for white flowers.

Unfortunately, it probably won't work for more solemn public actions.


And yes, I mainly just wanted to get a post up that didn't remind me that I'd like to perform an eyeballectomy on myself with a grapefruit spoon.
[This whole story is via digby via rick perlstein, both of whom should be in your regular blog rotation anyway.]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when the Klan came to Ann Arbor at that small riot broke out?

Shoulda gone to Tennessee. Tennesse 45, Michigan 10.

Anonymous said...

Also, Peyton deserved it and Nebraska was the real national champion.

Anonymous said...

I do recall that riot. Interesting that now, 11 years later it seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Are you on Flickr, making goo-goo eyes at Smokey, Phil Fulmer and Fred Thompson right now?

Anonymous said...

Hot Shower! Hot Shower!!

Anonymous said...

Again with the Peyton thing...

I'll just repeat what I said last year. This wasn't THAT big a deal even at the time (and I lived in Tennessee at the time!), and I never heard a thing about it since until I started noticing your biweekly-during-football-season bitching about it.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone so pissy about something their guy won as the two of you are about Woodson's Heisman...

(note: this may be one of the things that contributes to all the schadenfreude the other day)

Anonymous said...

You're completely misinterpreting, Crunk. It's not bi-weekly bitching. It's bi-weekly gloating.

I heard a Manning-partisan call into some talk radio show at the time and whine about Michigan's "three-yards and a clop [sic] of mud" offense.

I've had Tennessee fans react like Marko Ramius ("CIA?!?!") when they found out I went to Michigan. I've had others tell me Woodson totally didn't deserve it. (The response to that involves the words "Tee" and "Martin"). It all entertains me no end.

I don't know why you think I'm stamping my foot when I'm really slapping my knee, but trust me. This is not a chip on my shoulder but a bluebird.

In summary, I can force metaphors all day, but please trust me when I say that it entertains rather than irritates me to this day.

Anonymous said...

Also it was 45-17. Jesus, that team was good.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember if it was a big deal at the time, but I can assure you it is now. I live in an area where Tennessee is not well liked, yet on multiple occasions I've heard people bluntly assert that Peyton should have won that Heisman.

This is typical SEC - bitching about an event that happened so long ago that most people listening don't realize how much you're distorting the truth.