Sunday, October 16, 2005

It's arrested development

It's 4:18 a.m., I'm drinking water in my living room and watching college football highlights on ESPN. And you know what I'm doing? Still getting excited when Mario Manningham catches that pass. It's as if I'm seeing it live. I'm sure my neighbors disapprove. Shouldn't I be more mature than this?

I honestly could watch this all night. What a finish. One of the hidden treasures of a ridiculous, roller-coaster season is a moment like that. A year or two ago, Michigan would have handled a team like this year's Penn State by a touchdown or two. It would have been satisfying, pro forma and pretty much unremarkable.

I'm not wishing for more seasons like this one, because my nerves are frayed. But in the midst of a season in which wins can no longer be taken for granted, that was a truly memorable moment. I'll remember where I was when I saw it ... will you?

Isn't college football the best? I'd say it's even better than Crenshaw melon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it better than mustard because, dude, mustard is the best.

Your South American Correspondent for the this week,
Tommy O

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm a true springfield republican newspaper

I am sure that the readers of your blog
are interested in reading about
springfield republican newspaper

Here's the website where they can!
springfield republican newspaper

Flop said...

What a fun, sexy time for you.

evil girl said...

given the number of great finishes saturday, i'd say this college football season is almost as good as nice soggy bowl of slaw. and, yes, just as sexy.

Anonymous said...

I get the sexy reference, and I like it; it works on so many levels (well, two).