Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Don't count your cabbage before it's slaw: my own rejoinder

My esteemed colleague's rejoinder makes an assumption I'd like to knock down before I get on with the subtance of my reply. I reject charracterization as another crazed left-wing blogger. I'm not a Julie, demanding that all ride our mini choppers straight into the murky waters of the marina. I just want something that will actually help keep as many extremist judges as possible out of our courts. This isn't it yet.

My objection to the Senate compromise is not and never has been that it represents a sellout of some hardcore ideals. My problem is, instead, with hailing the compromise as a resounding success. At best, I'm skeptical, while my co-blogger is admonishing us all not to look Trojan Horses in the mouth.

I've made the argument before why I think this compromise is on shaky ground and I won't revisit it here. However, as I've said before, if the Republican leadership can't find a way to strongarm or weasel their way into what they want it'll be a first. Crimenotes, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Based on the evidence we have before us, I can't conclude that this is so. We're not in Pasadena yet.

1 comment:

Flop said...

Duly noted.