Monday, May 23, 2005

Monday roundup

A bunch of short, stupid things that don't really warrant their own posts.

I don't like Mondays
The Boomtown Rats still exist! I think. I'll be honest, I didn't read the site too closely. But as someone who invariably gets that song stuck in his head a couple Tuesdays a year (yes, Tuesdays) I thought I should mention it.

Traitor Tots
Turns out the guy who "invented" Freedom Fries might be regretting it. Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), a lot of whose constituents have been getting killed in Iraq, is now apparently against the war.

But Jones now says we went to war "with no justification." He has challenged the Bush administration, quizzing Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and other presidential advisers in public hearings. He has lined the hallway outside his office with "the faces of the fallen."
Cole Slaw Blog welcomes you, Rep. Jones. You're inviting a shitstorm upon your head. You will be told you hate America, you will be told that if your constituents were ever to hear, they'd be disheartened. In short, you're going to get a new perspective on a lot of the simple-minded bullshit your colleagues have been dealing in for years. We don't envy you, but Cole Slaw Blog admires your conscience and your ability to be honest with yourself. We'd totally send you some of our Sedition Slaw, but the Capitol Police would probably just intercept it, and incorrectly assume that it was some sort of anthrax-based side dish.

If they should bar wars ...
I attended a screening of Star Wars (Episode III): Revenge of the Sith on Sunday with a friend. It was at her request, although I was moderately intrigued at the prospect of experiencing it on the big screen. I am far from a Star Wars geek, but I've seen five of the six "episodes" now. And this one was at least better than the previous one. As usual, it's a big, overdone mess in a lot of ways, and a lot of scenes that should have been heartbreaking were merely bummers in between special effects and fight scenes, but it was a perfectly enjoyable time, and the score, as always, was great.

The ending was great, too. I can't wait for the next one to come out!

It's only rock n' roll but I like it

Just to add to my co-blogger's review of the recent The Hold Steady show, I went into the concert completely blind. Or, um, deaf. I had heard nothing but great things about them, but for a number of reasons, did not listen to them before attending. My first impression: Rocking is apparently much harder than it looks. How else to explain why so few can do it well, let alone as well as The Hold Steady. Everything else there is to say on them has probably been covered by Crimenotes.

No comments: